Monday, January 14, 2008

Its a boy!


Today, I took time to reminisce about my baby Jacob.




My very first ultrasound was scheduled for January 14th, 2003 after I was done with work. I remember downing 20 oz of water and hurrying to the appointment only to have to wait, and wait, and wait.


I know now that the 2:45 p.m. timeslot is left open everyday for emergency ultrasounds. And that day, someone had the emergency timeslot, which made us wait. (I think I took up that timeslot a few times with the triplets.)


So, Scott and I waited and finally got in for our much anticipated ultrasound. I remember being pretty excited but not really knowing what I was looking at. The ultrasound was in 2D or 3D (not 4D like the triplets) and I could make out some parts - sucking on thumb, curling up, etc... then the magic moment happened. The tech asked if we wanted to know the sex and OF COURSE we said yes! She asked what we thought we were having and I said, "a girl" knowing that the last three or four generations of Callaways have been male-dominated and my chances were unlikely... She showed us the bits and pieces and said, "its a boy!" She took some snapshots of the parts and other lovely profiles and that was it. 45 minutes of seeing our baby boy for the first time.




It was the coolest thing! But honestly looking back at the pictures, I wouldn't have been able to tell if it was a boy or girl. The triplets were totally easy. I think the very first picture of Matthew was of him squaring off to the camera.




Jacob and I had so much fun tonight. He waited and waited for the babies to go to bed. He had put the jewelry up in the kitchen and wanted to put it away. So I got out all the bags and put the jewelry in the correct plastic bags. The cutest thing is that he would make comments about the jewelry. He even wore his "daisy" ring I got for him. Its actually a toe ring, but fits on a child's fingers or a pinkie finger. There was a red and white swarovski bracelet that he forgot to get out and he hugged the bracelet to himself and said, "oh, this is my favorite!"




He's really such a fun little boy.


So Brooke was the last baby to go down tonight. John being the first since he really got my goat because he kept purposely spitting his milk out all over. Matthew went to bed after John stopped crying, which was about 20 minutes later. John was standing up crying - with his Nuk in- so I laid him down and rubbed his head a little. Just so he knew I loved him. I was still mad at him, but you know the saying, "hate the sin, not the sinner."




Jacob and I put a puzzle together that he got for Christmas. It was a Melissa and Doug giant puzzle - 100 pieces. We had a lot of fun. O.K. I laid on the floor eating pour over Cheddar popcorn and watched him put the puzzle together. But after I was finished I did help. He's really good at putting puzzles together. I have a feeling he's going to be strong at math-related things because he can put puzzles together by looking at the colors and what the pieces look like.




Then he got ready for bed and I rubbed in some Burt's Bees Wax hand salve into his hands (no socks) and he went off to dreamland!

















No comments: