Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Good neighbors

Well, we got more snow. I wish it would have warmed up a little more. Instead Jacob and I just had icicles hanging from our noses.
I didn't want to go out and shovel, but knew I had to because Scott was busy arresting some no-do-gooder punk and he'd be working a lot again this week.
Before kids (BK) I never cared about what my driveway looked like. And I wasn't about to go out in the COLD and shovel. I hate using the word hate. But I really, extremely dislike the cold. I live here because this is where I was born and this is where family is.
So, back to the story... picture this... tracks in the snow on one side of the driveway. The truck parked on the other side of the driveway near the garage. Pristine, virgin snow on that side. I start shoveling and Jacob is busy shoveling the sidewalk. After a couple of minutes, I realize that its really, really cold. I don't feel like doing the whole driveway even though it looks like a nice day with the sun shining and little wind. Its still 2 or 7 degrees. Since I have to take Jacob to school, I decide to just shovel out in back of the truck so I don't pack down any more snow. I'm shoveling and shoveling and getting colder and colder. I near the end of the driveway where the snow plow has gone through and its probably a foot deep. The neighbor kiddie corner to me is out snow blowing. He finishes his driveway and goes to clean up my next-door neighbors driveway. I wistfully look his way every now and then. I fall short of waving him over since I am probably 1/2 his age and feel foolish asking for help since I've never talked to him.
I struggle to lift up the heavy snow at the end of the driveway. The snow blower is getting louder. I look up to see the neighbor walking towards me, but on the other side of the street. I smile with my dopey hat, and fluffy scarf, hoping my eyes are as pitiful as the pajamas I'm out shoveling clothes in.
I smile at the man again and he comes over and starts snow blowing the driveway. He starts working on the other side of the driveway that I hadn't touched. As he comes back I sign, "thank you" to him. And he waves at me. I realize he probably thinks I blew him a kiss because the sign for thank you is to touch your chin with your hand and move it away from your chin toward the person. When you have a scarf on and dopey hat, that also could be taken as a kiss that is blown to another person. Soooo, he either thinks I'm flirting with him or, or, or I'm nuts.

It really doesn't matter to me, as long as he comes over again and does my driveway.

No comments: