Friday, August 15, 2008

Parenting for dummies

I'm not doing so hot with posting every day. Its because either it was user error or the laptop wasn't cooperating with the router. I would like to think it was the router.

I read a report the other day that the oldest children in a family tend to have higher IQs and attend better colleges or something like that.

I'm beginning to see in our own family that being the oldest child isn't always easy. For either us parents or the child. I think I tend to be tougher on Jacob and expect him to set an example for the babies. But on the other hand, I had more time with him, spent more time teaching the ABC's, counting, did everything by the textbook. (Until the babies came, that is.)

Tonight, Jacob wasn't listening to Scott and I. He was intent on doing his own thing. Finally, Scott put a marble in the sad jar and then Jacob got up off the couch to help us. Sometimes, I just want to ignore him ignore me. The "Pick your battles" thing that's in all those parenting books.
But with him being the oldest, there are three pairs of eyes on him and what he does. If I don't make him listen to me the first time I ask him to do something, the other kids will know that they can wait until mom asks three or four times.

I know if I don't make him listen and respect me now, it will only get worse.

And then this week when my mom was over. My nephew Sam and Jacob were goofing around. Mom said something to them and then Jacob and Sam were whispering to each other and then Jacob said, "I hate Grandma" out loud. So my mom could hear.
This devastated my mom. I got home a few minutes later and made Jacob apologize and give Grandma a hug. Then we had a talk about hurtful words. I put a marble in his sad jar, but I knew that something else should happen. He probably should have gotten 20 marbles in sad jar and be grounded from fishing, the boat and some of the toys he likes.
Actually if I would have been there I would have washed out his mouth with (liquid) soap. I remember that being a good deterrent growing up.

Parenting is hard. Parenting is only going to get harder. I know that God will give me the tools I need to raise thoughtful, loving, Christian children.

No comments: