Monday, August 25, 2008

The next phase

We all go through phases of our lives. Jacob is onto his next one. Kindergarten. (real big sigh by mom)



I'm excited for him because he'll learn more in an environment with other children his age. He'll forge life-long friendships, learn things that I don't have the time or patience to teach him, he'll learn about Jesus from someone else (who probably has heard all the 5 year old questions about Jesus and knows the answer), he'll learn honesty, respect, responsibility.



But now he belongs to someone else for 1/2 of the day. At least its only 1/2 days. I can't imagine when he goes to school and I only see him for a little while in the morning and then for a few hours in the evening.



He is still apprehensive about school. But I e-mailed his teacher and she said that everyone is their first day. Tonight we talked about what would happen tomorrow and he seemed to accept it and didn't tell me he didn't want to go to school. It just breaks my heart when he says this. Its a heavy burden on me because I don't know what to do to help him. As a mother, we want to be able to fix our children's problems, but I can't fix this one. I can only be his soft shoulder to lean on.



He's a leader at home, but I don't think he's found his role in school. I've enrolled him in Soccer and he'll be in basketball this winter through the Y and I hope that sports can help bridge the gap in the communications between him and his classmates. He just sits back and watches and if they ask him to play he just says No. He talks about his classmates all the time so I don't understand whats stopping him from playing with them.



I have learned that I don't think he wants to make a mistake or do something wrong. He's very hard on himself if he draws something wrong or he doesn't make a basket.



It will be an interesting year.



Now, it seems like I always talk about how hectic it is having triplets.



Here are some positives.

Two year old triplets can somewhat dress and undress themselves. They can also walk from the house to the car without being carried. They have instant playmates. They are socially above other toddlers. They learn to share at a younger age. I LOVE having all three sitting on my lap. It feels so right having all of them snuggling into me. The other day as I left to run an errand, I got three great kisses from each baby. I love hearing "Mama" in unison. They sleep through the night and take nice naps.



So for all of you who have been told, "Just wait, it gets worse." Its really how you look at things. The fact that I get a night of sleep uninterrupted does wonders for the body and mind.



I think the hardest things are teaching them safety and being consistent with the discipline. And keeping diapers on.


No comments: