Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Apple picking

Today, I had an EMG done on my hands to see if I have carpal tunnel. I have the symptoms of carpal tunnel and have done therapy this summer with some improvement. I had an EMG done in 2004 when I still worked. That time it showed that I did not have carpal tunnel. I remembered it being very painful.

So, needless to say, I was kinda apprehensive going there today. I got there and the nurse did the electric shock stuff to see how my nerves were reacting. Then the doc came in and did the needle stuff. It wasn't bad until they got to my right hand and put the needle in the muscle in my thumb. It still hurts like, like, well, really bad. Ice does help though.

The doc and my GP said I may have signs of arthritis too. I'm 33 years old. I've got 50 more years to live. I get the test results next week.

Well, my point was that a difficult pregnancy and being a parent makes pain management different. The EMG wasn't bad compared to a dental numbing or an epidural.

So then today I get home and the babies go down at 1:15 p.m. John never falls asleep and Brooke and Matthew wake up at exactly 2:15 p.m. screaming. And they sleep in different rooms. So I get all of them up and they are whiny, miserable, cranky children. Everyone wants to sit on my lap, but no one wants to be touched by the other. If you look at someone wrong, they cry. So I decide to take them to the Apple orchard and get some apples. Its the same orchard we go to every year. We couldn't pick apples from the tree yet, so we just bought some from their store. John snatched up apples that they were sorting and started eating them. And then put them back. The other two had more manners and waited for me to give them the "sample" apples. We came home with a bag of apples and two containers of caramel.

On the way home we stopped at a friends house who used to help out with the babies when they were actually babies. Donna has a hobby farm with 2 horses and about 18 cats. The kids were thrilled with all the cats running around. Brooke touched the electric fence, but either it was between shocks or her rubber soles prevented her from getting shocked. We fed the horses the apples that the kids were eating. They petted the horses, although the babies were intimidated by the sizes of the horses.

There were six brand new kitties that we got to hold. The other cats don't let you get that close to them for petting. The cats are grey and orange tabby and calico. Cosmo is a calico so I have a fondness for Donna's cats.

Then we went home and took a bath and got the farm smell off of all of us.

No comments: