Wednesday, October 1, 2008

National Down Syndrome Awareness month

October is a pretty special month. It will be 14 years ago on October 4th that I met Scott... and as they say, the rest is history.

Also, Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses on a church door in the 1600s creating the beginning of Lutheranism. Same time as we pagans celebrate Halloween.

Also, this month is Down Syndrome awareness month. I'd like to say something everyday that's creative and introspective about people who have DS. But I don't think I can do them or their uniqueness justice.

However, I work at the YMCA (You can always stay at the the Y M C A... doesn't that song play in your head too?) and there is a girl named Carol that has been a volunteer for 10 years and is so nice. She helps out with housekeeping and laundry. And there is a lot of laundry at the Y. People - you don't need to use four towels at a time - com' on! She always got a smile on her face and saying hello to everyone. I asked her one day how old she was and she said 37. She doesn't look a day over 25 and I told her that. But maybe when you like what you do and who you work with, it doesn't age you... :)

Its approximately 2 1/2 months until Christmas. And we have a Christmas tree up and decorated in our house already. Scott bought Jacob a 4 1/2 foot tree and he put on lights and the decorations all by himself. Its going to be a very interesting Christmas if he's ALREADY excited about it. (Picture me holding my head in my hands)

No comments: