Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patricks Day

St. Patricks Day

What is this day? Why do we wear green and drink a lot of beer? I'm beginning to be a scrooge when it comes to holidays that gifts are not given.

So I googled St. Patrick's Day and this is what I got. "St. Patrick's Day is a traditional day for spiritual renewal and offering prayers for missionaries worldwide." Apparently this guy died on March 17th so we are celebrating his death on this day. He drove the druids out of Ireland or something to that effect.

Now, I'm all for spiritual renewal and thanking others for witnessing all around the world. But is that what the St. Patrick's revelers are doing? No. They use this as an excuse to get together (or not) and drink.

So I'm now thinking about this and when I say my prayers tonight I will add prayers about the missionaries throughout the world (and hope I don't fall asleep before I do so).

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am German 100% and that Scott is a mixture of French-Canadian, German, Polish and English. There is NO Irish in our blood. We are from the English Callaways, not Irish. This is deceiving due to the color of my husbands hair, his fair skin and his sky blue eyes.


No comments: