Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dodge Smodge

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. The SXT costs extra but I'm able to get the triple stroller in the back.

I have this love/hate relationship with Dodge vehicles.

My first Dodge was a 1999 Dodge Stratus with a sunroof. That was the only thing I liked about that vehicle. I was a few days short of the lemon law. It had several recalls that year and on top of it, it had its transmission replaced at 6,000 miles. There were several problems with that thing. I sold it to some unsuspecting suckers a year or two later.

Fast-forward to December 8/9th 2005. Ultrasound shows 3 babies. &$@*! This now means I need a 6 plus passenger vehicle that can safely handle four car seats. Four car seats. We do research and decide we REALLY like the stow and go seating. It came out in 2004/2005 so getting a used vehicle with this option would be slim.

Of course Dodge has stow and go seating and the local yahoos here had a 2005 SXT (which we needed for the stroller) with only 6,000 miles on it. We bought it at the end of January 2006.

I think there have been a couple of recalls. I've had numerous problems with the air condition not working. Its probably been in 3-4 times for that.

There have been other minor things too.

At 35,000 miles I got my tires replaced and the techs at a independent shop told me the tie rod is going bad and my brake pads only have 10% left. So this week I went in to get my front brake pads replaced and guess what? The calipers are sticking and yadayadayada $450 later I have new parts in my van. Still have not gotten the tie rods fixed.

Then Saturday I went over to the in-laws to use their heated garage to clean my prize possession. As I'm doing errands the radio stops working. The channels jump around, seek doesn't work any more and there is no volume.

Come on! I'm going to write a letter (or e-mail) dodge letting them know what crap this is.

Oh, and sometimes my seat belt won't click. I have to wiggle it and try several times before it works.

Lovely. Lovely. And society wonders why these "American made" car companies are struggling.

Stop importing your parts from CHINA!

No comments: